Ismail Kurbanhusein Poonawala
Professor of Arabic & Islamic Studies
Department of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
Office: 370 Humanities Bldg.
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1511
Ph.D. 1968. Gustave von Grunebaum Center for Near Eastern Studies, University of California, Los Angeles. Dissertation, “Al-Qa?i al-Nu?man and His al-Urjuza al-Mukhtara.” Interdisciplinary degree in Islamic Studies; thesis advisor & Chair of the Doctoral Committee Prof. Gustave von Grunebaum. (Fields of study: Arabic language & literature, Persian language & literature, Islamic history from pre-Islamic days to present, Greek and Islamic philosophy.)
M.A. 1964. Department of Arabic Language & Literature, Cairo University. Dissertation, “Al-Sul?an al-Kha??ab: ?ayatuhu wa-Shi?ruhu.” Thesis advisor Prof. Abd al-Aziz al-Ahwani.
M.A. 1959. Bombay University. Arabic major and Urdu minor.
B.A. 1957. Bombay University. Arabic major and Islamic Culture minor.
1960-64 M.A. (thesis with distinction) Cairo; thesis
Research Experience and Teaching Positions Held:
1974- present Professor of Arabic & Islamic Studies, Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, University of California, Los Angeles, California.
1982-87 Chair, Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Islamic Studies, UCLA.
1971-74 Research Associate/Asst. Prof. Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University (Cambridge, Mass.)
1968-71 Assistant Professor, Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University (Montreal, Canada).
1964-68 Research Assistant to Prof. Gustave von Grunebaum, Director, Near Eastern Center, UCLA.
- Al-Sul?an al-Kha??ab:?ayatuhu wa-shi?ruhu [Al-Sultan al-Khattab: His Life and Poetry]. Cairo: Dar al-Ma?arif, 1967. (Study of the poet’s life and his works with a critical edition of his Diwan.) .
- Al-Urjuza al-Mukhtara by al-Qa?i al-Nu?man: Critical edition with notes and introduction. Montreal/Beirut: Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University/al-Maktab al-Tijari, 1970. (A long urjuza that deals with the issue of succession to the Prophet Mu?ammad).
- Biobibliography of Isma?ili Literature. Malibu, Calif.: Gustave von Grunebaum Center for Near Eastern Studies, UCLA/Undena Publications, 1977.
- The History of al-?abari, vol. IX: The Last Years of the Prophet, the Formation of the State. Translation with annotations by Ismail K. Poonawala. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1990.
- Al-Sul?an al-Kha??ab: ?ayatuhu wa-shi?ruhu [Al-Sultan al-Khattab: His Life and Poetry]. Second revised and expanded edition with English introduction. Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 1999.
- Kitab al-Iftikhar by Abu Ya?qub al-Sijistani. Critical edition with notes and English introduction. Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 2000.
- The Pillars of Islam (Da?a?im al-Islam): Vol. I. Acts of Devotion and Religious Observances, by al-Qa?i al-Nu?man. Translated by A. A. A. Fyzee. Completely revised and annotated by Ismail Poonawala. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- The Pillars of Islam (Da?a?im al-Islam): Vol.II: Laws Pertaining to Human Intercourse, by al-Qa?i al-Nu?man. Translated by A. A. A. Fyzee. Completely revised and annotated by Ismail Poonawala. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Ad?iyat al-ayyam al-sab?a by the Fa?imid caliph-Imam al-Mu?izz li-Din Allah. Text edited with notes and introduction by Ismail Poonawala. Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 2006.
- Kitab al-Maqalid al-malakutiyya by Abu Ya?qub al-Sijistani. Critical edition with notes and English introduction. Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 2011.
Selected Articles in refereed Journals and chapters in Books
1. Al-Qa?i al-Nu?man’s works and the sources, in the Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University, vol. 36 (1973), pp. 109-15.
2. A reconsideration of al-Qa?i al-Nu?man’s madhhab, in the Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University, vol. 37 (1974), pp. 572-79.
3. Al-Sijistani and his Kitab al-Maqaliid, in Essays on Islamic Civilization Presented to Niyazi Berkes, ed. D. P. Little. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1976, pp. 274-83.
4. Isma?ili sources for the history of South-West Arabia, in Studies in the History of Arabia, vol. I, Sources for the History of Arabia, Part I. Riyadh: Riyadh University Press, 1979, pp. 151-59.
5. The Qur?an in the Rasa?il Ikhwan al-?afa?, in International Congress for the Study of the Qur?an. Canberra, Australia, 1980, pp. 51-67.
6. Isma?ili ta?wil of the Qur?an, in Approaches to the History of the Interpretation of the Qur?an, ed. A. Rippin. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988, pp. 199-222.
7. Isma?ili treatise on the i?jaz al-Qur?an, in Journal of the American Oriental Society, vol. 108 (1988), pp. 379-85.
8. Translatability of the Qur?an: Theological and literary considerations, in Translation of Scripture: Proceedings of a Conference at Annenberg Research Institute, May 15-16, 1989, in Jewish Quarterly Review Supplement, 1990, pp. 161-92.
9. Mu?ammad ?Izzat Darwaza’s principles of modern exegesis: A contribution toward Qur?anic hermeneutics, in Approaches to the Qur?an, eds. G. Hawting et al. London: Routledge, 1993, pp. 225-46.
10. Al-Sul?an al-Kha??ab’s treatise on the ?ijaz al-Qur?an. in ARABICA, vol. XLI (1994),pp. 84-126.
11. Al-Qa?i al-Nu?man and Isma?ili jurisprudence, in Mediaeval Isma?ili History and Thought, ed. F. Daftary. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996, pp. 117-43.
12. Imam’s authority during the pre-ghayba period: Theoretical and practical considerations, in Shi?ite Heritage: Essays on Classical and Modern Traditions, ed. L. Clarke. Bingham: Global Publications, 2000, pp. 111-32.
13. Proto-Druze and ?amid al-Din al-Kirmani in Journal of Druze Studies, vol.1(2000), pp. 71-94.
14. The Beginning of the Isma?ili Da?wa and the Establishment of the Fa?imid Dynasty as Commemorated by al-Qa?i al-Nu?man, in F. Daftary and J. Meri (eds.),Culture and Memory in Medieval Islam: Essays in Honour of W. Madelung. London:I. B. Tauris, 2003, pp. 338-63.
15. Do We Need an Arabic Critical Edition with an Annotated English Translation of the Rasa?il Ikhwan al-?afa?,” in The Ikhwan al-?afa? and their Rasa?il, ed. Nader El-Bizri (Oxford University Press in association with the Institute of Ismaili Studies),2008, pp. 34-58.
16. Islamic Messianism: Some Thoughts on the Origins of Mahdism and its Sociopolitical Function, in Proceedings of an International Conference on the Doctrine of Mahdism, Tehran, Aug. 14-15, 2008.
17. Humanism in Isma?ili Thought: The Case of the Rasa?il Ikhwan al-?afa?, in Humanism in Islamic thought, Giorgio Levi Della Vida Conference in Honor of Prof.W. Madelung (in press)
18. Sources for al-Qa?i al-Nu?man’s Works and Their Authenticity, in Ismaili and Fatimid Studies in Honor of Paul Walker, ed. Bruce Craig. Chicago: Middle East Documentation Center, 2010, pp. 87-99.
19. Isma?ili Shi?a in Oxford Bibliography Online (OBO: Islamic Studies).Entry ID: 9780195390155 0121 Version Date: 2011-01-10
20. Al-Qa?i al-Nu?man and His Refutation of Ibn Qutayba, in Citadels of Intellect:Prof. Farhad Daftary’s Festschrifte, ed. Omar de Unza. (in press)
21. The Book of the Keys
Articles/Entries in the following ENCYCLOPEDIAS:
Encyclopaedia of Islam, 2nd edition.
Encyclopaedia of Islam, 3rd edition (in progress)
15. Encyclopaedia Britannica, 15th edition (1974)
Encyclopedia of Religion, 1st edition; 2nd edition
Microsoft Encarta 2000
Encyclopaedia of Islamic Jurisprudence (in Persian)
Encyclopaedia of the World of Islam (in Persian)